Saturday, February 28, 2009

Homemade yogurt


Homemade yogurt is not too difficult to make, but it's important to save a bit from the last batch. And a good thermometer is important. This new one I have alerts me when the milk has reached the requisite 180 F and again when it has cooled down to about 116 F, the point at which the "old" yogurt is added. Then I put the plastic container inside another plastic container, which contains a water bath that keeps the yogurt at just the right temperature. I use whole milk, but the whole thing still comes out a bit runny, so I pour off the whey each day when I spoon some out for my daily jar of yogurt and blueberries.

2 comments:

  1. I use skim milk and add some powdered milk to it. It doesn't get runny at all. I bought a Donvier yogurt maker at Amazon.com, and it has 8 little plastic cups for the yogurt. I usually get a pint of organic yogurt at the grocery store and put a 2 T dollop of yogurt into little muffin tins, freeze them, then put them in a plastic bag. That's what I use for starter.

    Barbara Yale-Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a yogurt maker, but I guess it's gone now. I should try it again.

    ReplyDelete