Friday, March 6, 2009

Caramel Ice Cream





I've never made caramel from dry sugar. But that's how you do it when you follow the directions in the recipe for Caramel Ice Cream in Room for Dessert by Dave Lebovitz. Those brown stick things are pieces of vanilla that were too dry to cut lengthwise, so I just chopped them in pieces and hoped for the best. As the sugar heated, it began to melt and become liquid--a fabulously sweet toasty liquid. A dangerously hot liquid, to which you add heavy cream, which steams up something fierce. A real show stopper. Then you add more half and half, and eventually egg yolks. Chill thoroughly and freeze in an ice cream maker. I added bittersweet chocolate pieces. I don't think I will do that next time. They freeze too hard and ruin the lovely smooth texture. Swirls of melted chocolate would be better if one has to have chocolate with their caramel. I can live without it. This stuff is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment