Sunday, June 7, 2009

A bountiful harvest


We harvested the backyard rhubarb today. From that I made rhubarb berry jam using the recipe posted by David Lebovitz here. I was trying to get it up to temperature, which never happened, and it scorched. I tried not to get the black bits in it, and for the most part I succeeded. But it tastes great, and I made five jars of it. Nevermind that in the photo it looks like salsa--it's not.

We also got a 9 by 13 pan of strawberry-rhubarb crisp out of it. This goes down really easy, I must say. I used frozen strawberries, which seems like cheating, but whatever. The topping is the most important part. It is made with one cup of brown sugar, one cup of flour, one cup of thick oats, and one stick of melted butter. To this, going on a Dorie Greenspan recipe for strawberry-rhubarb crisp, I added ground ginger.

I put away another 3 pounds of rhubarb in the freezer for another crisp another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment