Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chai Tea Ice Cream



Oh boy. This is good stuff. I modified a recipe for Black Currant Tea ice cream from the David Lebovitz book, The Perfect Scoop, changing it to a chai tea base. This involving steeping Darjeeling tea, nutmeg, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves in milk, sugar, and heavy cream for an hour. If I had had fresh ginger around, I would have thrown that in there too. If you’re interesting in formulating your own chai tea recipe, this website was very helpful.

This is a custard-based ice cream, but the extra trouble that takes is very much worth it. There isn’t a crystal of ice to be found in it. Michael and Isaac used words like luscious and creamy. Well, Isaac also said palatable. Later he told me that he is now converted into a chai tea fan. I suggested to him that it was a gateway drug into stronger forms of caffeine.

1 comment: