Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chicken Burger on a Brioche Bun

DSC_0003The thought of a regular hamburger made from CAFO beef just doesn’t do it for me. So I looked at the ground turkey, but couldn’t feel much assurance that it was much better than CAFO beef. So, I thought, why not grind my own chicken? I decided to use the organic free range chicken, which I can only hope is raised and slaughtered in less mass-market industrial ways. 'Course, I bought it at Smith's, so it is still a mass-market product. It seems we can only make better choices, and rarely find food that isn't tainted in some way by the way it was produced or transported or sold. Sigh.

To make the burgers, I chopped a shallot in the food processor, threw in some rosemary and thyme, and then the chicken thighs. I whirred those babies up, and it turned into pink goo. I formed the patties grillside, rolling them in olive oil before flattening them and laying them gently on the grill. They cooked up (or in chef-speak, grilled off) pretty quickly, turning into lovely burgers, which I put on these incredible brioche burger buns. DSC_0005

The recipe for the buns came from Smitten Kitchen, which in turn came from an article in the New York Times. If you like reading food blogs and seeing lovely photos of homemade cooking, you’ll like Smitten Kitchen. Deb, the blogger, tried many recipes before finding this one. And she’s right—it’s perfect. I didn't use the bread flour as called for, but I was using King Arthur unbleached all purpose, which has a high protein level (11.7%) like bread flour (which has 12-14% protein) and is made from hard wheat like bread flour. I'm pretty sure the magic of these buns really came from the one egg inside and the eggwash applied to the outside just before baking.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Smitten Kitchen and whipped up her watermelon lemonade this weekend. Did the chicken fall apart at all when you where grilling it? I always have that problem with turkey. Way to go on the sustainable meat! Sure do miss you.

    ReplyDelete