Friday, November 26, 2010

Pies, locally grown

I read quite a few food blogs, and some are quite amusing. Mine is not. I don't seem to be able to find an amusing rhetorical stance. Straight ahead non-fiction recount. Oh well. It's all about pictures for me, anyway. So I hope these photos do justice to the pies I made to take to our friends' house for Thanksgiving.

This year I made two pies, both from locally grown produce. The pumpkin came from our university greenhouse and cost a whole $1.20. The apples came from the fruit farm down the hill from our neighborhood--ten pound bag for $8.00. Both cooked up beautifully.


For the pumpkin, my strategy is to roast the pumpkin so that it isn't watery. The recipe I followed can be found here. Despite my usual tendencies, I followed the recipe nearly exactly, except for doubling the spices because I am pretty sure my spices aren't full potency anymore.

The crust recipe was Dorie Greenspan's "Good for Almost Everything Pie Dough" in Baking: From My Home to Yours.

For the apple pie, I followed Dorie's "All-American, All-Delicious Apple Pie" recipe, except I did a crumb topping. Because the crumb topping had sugar in it, and there was sugar mixed in with the apples already, it made the whole thing too sweet in my opinion, but others found it not unpleasant. The apples, Empire, stayed firm-ish, which redeemed the whole enterprise for me.

1 comment:

  1. Both pies are pretty near the pinnacle of my very long pie-loving culinary existence.

    I feel so lucky to be an FOS.

    ReplyDelete