Monday, January 17, 2011

Lasagna with Chard

Back in August, the CSA was giving me lots of chard, and I was in no mood for chard, so I blanched it and froze it. This week I made two dishes with chard--a garlicky sauteed chard with polenta and gorgonzola, and then this lasagna with chard.


I mixed in the chard with ricotta and egg, then layered with homemade tomato sauce and mozzarella (why is the shredded cheese cheaper than the cheese in a block?). After a good long bake at 375 (45 minutes) I topped it with romano and more mozzarella and baked it for 15 minutes more. After a 10-minute rest, it served up nicely. I used no-boil lasagna noodles, and the thing about them is that they absorb the extra moisture in the tomato sauce, which I like. I don't want tomato juice running all over the plate when I lift out a serving.

Over the holidays, I read a lot of food blogs, including one called Will Write for Food, in which the blogger gives advice to food bloggers, including "adjusting a recipe doesn't make it yours." Well, I guess, but then again, food is folklore. There are no recipes that are completely yours, that didn't begin somewhere with someone else. 

But the blog entry that really got to me and kept me from blogging for a while was one called Is Food Blogging to Much Work? which ended with the question, "should hobbyists get a pass on quality because they want to have fun?" The blogger gives food blogging workshops, and she is frustrated by attendees who want good traffic and comments on their blog but whine that her advice means too much work for them. 

Having thought about the debate that ensued among this blogger's commenters, I decided that my blog is indeed a hobby. I would like to have traffic and comments, but if I don't, that's okay. I also think that my writing and photos are of a high enough quality to pass the test. But I don't need the blog to be more than a hobby. Recently, it has scored me a couple of dinner invitations, so I'm feeling like it has paid off in ways I never anticipated! And that unexpected reward has motivated me to post again today. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment